Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Just What You Need

I'm sure you can recall times in your life where you were in need of something but didn't have it on hand at the moment. And all you could do was think about getting whatever it was you needed- everything else you were doing kind of came to a stand still and your only focus became how to meet that need.

A simple example of this that comes to my mind is when you find yourself suddenly very thirsty with nothing on hand to drink and all you can think about is getting an ice cold water. And maybe I'm crazy- but when I've been in this situation and I'm rushing into a gas station to buy a bottle of water, I swear my mind is racing and I want the check out person to ring me up super fast because I NEED to drink this water. Then the moment comes when I twist off the cap and guzzle that water and it tastes so darn good! Ahhh such relief!!!

So I'm making an assumption that is how my son feels when he wants to nurse. I don't get a lot of warning ahead of time- we aren't really on much of a nursing schedule these days, it's certainly not as frequent but when he needs to nurse it's really a big deal! He can be playing and be so content, then in the next second he's walking to me and climbing in my lap to nurse. And if I need to put something down or have him wait just a minute, he becomes completely devastated, which I totally get if I think about how I would feel if that gas station clerk wouldn't let me buy my water!

A few nights ago I was in bed nursing my son to sleep and I was watching him very closely and taking in all the expressions on his face as his nursed- becoming more and more relaxed, comfortable, sleepy, and happy. I then thought to myself in that moment of bedtime "This is all he needs." Such a simple request from my baby boy and who am I to say he can't have breastmilk?! Despite the outside pressures of our silly society to stop nursing when a baby turns one year old, I feel confident I am making the right choice. My little one year old is still a happy breastfed baby, who also loves to eat his solids and try new foods. This makes me a proud mama.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just checked out your blog for the first time while looking at blogs that my daughter (My two cents) follows. Unfortunately, I did not have the wonderful experience of breastfeediing her. I came to my senses, however, when her younger sister was born. The point I want to make is that she nursed at bedtime until she was about twenty months old. That's when she lost interest. I would never have been ready to quit breastfeeding her after only a year. Take advantage of all those precious moments you have with your son. Our society has so much to learn.